API Mock Server is a framework for simulating a backend API with sample responses. These sample responses are dummy data with close-to-accurate responses used for developing the UI.
You need a Swagger file to set up a running API mock server, which delivers a URL for consuming the service.
Mocked API as a Service
Accessing App: API Mock Server
How it works in WaveMaker Studio
Like any REST service, when you create a variable and bind it with widgets, the mocked API service produces dynamic data into widgets, giving the application a real feel with refreshed responses every time.
Why API Mock Server
The URL can be imported into WaveMaker Studio as a backend service, allowing developers to create an application faster by focusing on the frontend development.
Faster Parallel Development and Agility: When backend and frontend development moves in parallel, the frontend team needs a dummy response to work with. Also, completely relying on a hosted backend for development can be challenging when your dev environment is externally dependent.
Better Testing Experience: The quicker the feedback of testing, the faster the bugs are caught and fixed, stabilizing the testing experience where you depend on a backend that heavily relies on API calls.
Increase Quality: Getting consistent feedback while testing a frontend development is important for continuous integration.
Setting up a Mock Server
Step 1: Access API Mock Server
Accessing API Mock Server to host a mocked API.
- Go to the Server: https://apimock.wavemakeronline.com
Step 2: Create a Mock API
- Click Create Mock API.
- Upload or drag-and-drop a Swagger schema file. For example, petstore.json
- Provide a service Name. For example, petstore.
- Choose a Locale for locale-specific mock data and click Create.
Step 3: Copy the Mocked API
- The API Mock Service starts running, and creates a Mock API URL.
- Copy the Mock API URL.
Import Mocked API in WaveMaker Studio
- Go to WaveMaker Studio, Click APIs and Imported APIs.
- Paste the Mock API URL and click Next.
- Click Import.
- Access the mocked API in WaveMaker Studio.
Updating the Basic configuration
- Copy Host Name and Base Path.
- Edit the Host Name and Base Path in the Basic Configuration section and save the changes.